Team Kristen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speak Reviews

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 am

Our goal is to compile as exhaustive a list of positive Speak reviews as we can.

If you notice we've missed a review or come across a new one, please post it in the Speak forum and we'll be sure to add it.

This thread is locked and for reference only.

-Team Kristen

Last edited by Kitsch on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamkristen.com
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 am

Quote :
Quick Wrap-Up Of The Woodstock Film Festival!!
...“Speak” stars Kristen Stewart (Catch that Kid and Panic Room) as a freshman in high school harboring such a dark secret that she hardly speaks. After 12 hours of watching movies, this movie had to be pretty good to keep me awake. It delivered. In spades. The film has a lot of emotional ups and downs, is well executed, well paced and features just a remarkable performance by Stewart. If Woodstock had acting awards, she would’ve been my vote. "Speak" also reminded me how much high school could suck. Incredible movie, it will either be released next year or run on Showtime. It won the Audience Award at the Fest.

Source: Ain't It Cool News
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:47 am

Quote :
I can say, nice and easy, that the lead, Kristen Stewart, is great.

Speak’s a rewarding experience to be sure--there are just too many beautiful, quiet moments in it for the film not to be, particularly the relationship between the Stewart and her parents (Sweeney and Perkins).

Source: The Stop Button
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:20 am

Quote :

...I wholeheartedly recommend this movie, actually I compell you to check it out. It is worth it alone for Kristen Stewart’s performance she is AMAZING as Melinda and that is an understatement, she was thirteen when the film was made but the way she portrays this victim, of such a violent assault is both heartbreaking and magical to watch. She has a talent that rivals actresses years beyond her, especially as her role was virtually non speaking and had to act for the most part with her face. (hmm that sounded a little stupid…..you know what I mean) I would put her on par or a little in front of Ellen Page in the talent department. She is one to watch!!

...I really cant say enough about this film, check it out!!!

Source: Cinema Voyage
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:33 am

Quote :
A good film should be like a traffic accident. Unpleasant, yet impossible to look away from. "Speak" is one such film. It's heartbreaking to watch this girl suffer one humiliation after another. Every step is a struggle, and every new encounter brings the possibility of a change, only to be shot down all too quickly. But there's hope. There's something brewing inside her. She's not over yet, she still has a fighting chance. Assuming the film gets to you, it'll be this part that does the trick.

...Kristen Stewart is a revelation in the lead role. The whole film rests on her shoulders, because she's in every single scene, and that's a lot of responsibility.

...Stewart uses the subtle nuances of her characters - the way she looks at people, the way she walks and talks - to tell us the things she can't say out loud. It's subtle sometimes, but this is film, and film sees everything. Watch Stewart's face closely in the scene where the extremely racist teacher Mr. Neck is suddenly challenged by one of the other students. You'll know every single thought that goes through Melinda, just from watching Stewart's expressions. She never says anything, she never "acts". All she does is react. And she does it with absolute conviction.

Stewart previously starred in "Panic Room", where she played Jodie Foster's daughter, and had no problems keeping up with the seasoned actress. She's one to look out for in the future.

Source: The Teen Spirit

Last edited by Kitsch on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 am

Norwegian review:

Quote :
Filmen er veldig pent filmet, og til tross for filmens mørke tema så fremstår ikke filmen som særlig mørk. I stedet for å senke lysmengden så har man valgt å gjengi filmen i et mer troverdig og naturtro lys, noe som skaper en sterkere følelse av troverdighet til filmens innhold. Melinda fremstår dermed ikke som en sykelig deprimert jente som faller til avgrunnen, men som et vanlig menneske som består av flere lag enn de mange ensidige filmkarakterene. Til tross for sine depresjoner har hun også lysere øyeblikk. I stedet for å fremstå som et slagent offer forsøker hun å leve med det som har skjedd, og viser dermed også en sterk side. Som et resultat av dette fremstår ikke dette som en film som konsentrerer seg om livets mørke side, men om hvordan å overvinne mørket. Blandingen av styrke og svakheter klarer Kristen Stewart på eksemplarisk måte å spille inn i sin karakter. Hennes rolle og skuespill forandrer seg i forhold til hvordan hennes omverden endrer seg, og hvordan de mildt sagt patetiske lærerne hennes oppfører seg. Lærerne er forresten fantastisk presentert i filmen. Min eneste hake her er på Steve Zahn som spiller kunstlæreren. Kanskje er det bare personlige preferanser og kjennskapsområder, men jeg har litt problemer med å fordøye hans spillestil i denne filmen. For meg virker det litt for overdrevent.

Source: Cinema.no
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 am

Quote :
...Many adult actors can only dream of being able to convey such depth of character without saying a word, but Ms. Stewart completely inhabits Melinda with a quiet ease. Through subtle shifts in expression or body language, she gives voice to Melinda with rarely a sound. From the charming, vivacious girl at the party to the shell Melinda had become to her eventual re-emergence, Ms. Stewart embodies each facet of her character with equal aplomb, quietly turning in a star-making performance.

The humanity of its characters is one of the reasons "Speak" works so well. Fleshed out by solid performances and intuitive writing, they feel like regular people, facing many of the same insecurities and adolescent torments we all went through. We can genuinely connect with these characters, making their struggles even more affecting. The film enables us to understand the trauma of Melinda's experience and her desire to put it behind her - her wish to forget. But to forget is to back down, to open the door for history to repeat itself - as her former friend's endangerment makes painfully clear - and sometimes one has to take a stand. "Speak" is about finding that voice inside us - breaking the silence that too often binds us and conquering our fear.

Source: Splash Magazine
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 am

Quote :
Stewart gives an amazingly touching performance as Melinda Sordino, a high school freshman who has retreated into selective mutism after being raped at a summer party.

Source: movierevie.ws
Back to top Go down
Kitsch
Nun With a Gun
Kitsch

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Quote :
SCREENED AT THE 2004 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL

...As Melinda, Kristen Stewart doesn't just shine, she burns. In a role where most of what she says doesn't come in the form of words, the teen star of Panic Room and Cold Creek Manor shows that she's far more than just a 'teen actress', delivering a flawless performance.

....There are so many films made for teenagers that dumb down to a level below what teenagers are truly capable of, that when a smart, well-made film rolls along the first instinct is to classify it as Ashton Kutcher fodder. But Speak is so far above that level as to almost require its very own pigeonhole.

Some may well compare it to such teen melodrama as My So-Called Life, and it certainly has echoes of that kind of production around it, but this is far and away not a 'teen movie'. Speaking as one of an audience full of grown adults, many of whom haven't seen the inside of a high school for decades, it crosses all demographics, all races, all genders and delivers its commentary on life as a teenager in a way that John Hughes at the peak of his powers could not have matched.

If it sounds like I'm rattling on endlessly about this film, that's because it deserves to be rattled on about endlessly. From start to finish, lead to co-stars, director to writers, this is the kind of film experience that reminds you that it doesn't matter how many stars are around, or how much money is spent on the film - a truly memorable indie film kicks the hell out of anything a studio can put together.

Source: efilmcritic.com
Back to top Go down
shibbyKStewartfan
StealthyStew
shibbyKStewartfan

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

THESE ARE AWESOME!! Thanks for posting! smiley hug1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speak Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speak Reviews   Speak Reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speak Reviews
Page 1 of 1